Monday, May 23, 2011

Some Assembly Required

My co-worker, Eli, regularly shares his daily offerings from the Pastor's Parlor with me.  I particularly like this one.

Good Sabbath morning to all, many of us have purchased at least one of those boxes marked 'some assembly required', and for some it led to the promise to never do it again. With each one comes a book, or sheet of basic instructions for assembly before use. After my first few purchases of such products I found that it was beneficial (to say the very least) to read the instructions before attempting to assemble the product. One of these first purchases was a simple wagon for one of my children, and the parts were few in number, so in my wisdom I glanced at the booklet (three pages) set it aside, and proceeded to the task. The tires all looked the same, and indeed they were, except there was an inside and an outside aspect to each one I failed to notice. After the wheels were put on there was a "locking nut" to be driven on the axle's end to hold it there, and as I later found out, there is a very good reason they called it a "locking nut". The evidence of my folly was made clear as my child pulled the wagon down the sidewalk, because the front wheel on one side and the back wheel on the other were not working well with the others. What had I done wrong? Though the mishap was possibly unnoticed by the children, it was clear to me, so while they played, I went in and read the instructions, only to find that I had to turn the two odd wheels around. That's when the problems started! It seems those "Locking Nuts" don't come off as easily as they go on! After much ado (and completely destroying one of those "nuts"), I sought the help of my father, hoping he had assembled a couple in his days, and in time, with expense (a new nut) he solved the problem. This all may seem a little trivial, but the importance of reading the instructions before, and during the assembly process is anything but trivial dear ones, it is necessary. There can be no doubt that we are 'some assembly required' at our birth, and believe it, there is a manual! Its called the Bible, or "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth. It is true that the parts don't come off as easily as they are put on, and that for all of us, some have been installed without the use of the manual. Some by ourselves, and some by others helping us along the way, but from my experience I can assure each of you repair is possible. Lean not unto your own understanding, but in all ways seek the knowledge and the help of the Lord our God; He is the manufacturer! Read the book! Find the many mistakes and then trust the Father who has fixed so many of His children's mistakes. We didn't read the instructions first, but the "Book" is still here, and will forever be here for us. Our assembly remains incomplete, and it remains good counsel to refer to the manual often as the assembly progresses. The book is complete to be sure, all the instructions are there, yet the Fathers wisdom is found in discussions with Him, when we do not understand the manual. There is no new error which He has not solved, or that He would have to look into, after all, He wrote the "Book". "Let not a man think more of himself (herself) then he ought", but so many do, casting aside the instructions, and going through life with wobbly wheels; let us each resolve to set aside a time each day to read the manual, AND seek our Fathers help through prayer. Perhaps our play will be a little easier as our "life's wagon" becomes a little more manageable through attention to the "Basic Instructions Before Leaving Earth" (B-I-B-L-E!) each day.  "Cics,ayr?"





I wondered and wondered what "Cics, ayr?" means.  Looked it up on the internet to no avail.  Finally I asked Eli.  It means, "Christ is coming soon, are you ready?"

No comments: